Thursday, March 3, 2011

Taco Soup

I can't take credit for this recipe in any way shape or form.  I know it's been circulating around for years, but it is a go to in our home.  I do something a little different from the original recipe I was given in that I season the meat a little before adding it to the soup because this is a hybrid freezer meal for us.

Taco Soup
1 pound ground beef or turkey, cooked and crumbled
1 can pinto beans, drained
1 can kindney beans, drained
1 can black beans, drained
1 can diced tomatoes with juice
2 Tbs cumin
1 1/2 Tbs chili powder
1 1/2 Tbs minced onion
1 Tbs garlic
1 tsp salt
5 cups water

Combine all ingredients in a large pot.  Heat to boil then reduce heat and simmer approximately 20 minutes. Add or reduce water according to personal preference. Serve with shredded cheese, tortilla chips and sour cream.

***1 package of taco seasoning can be substituted for the seasonings.

If you are really ambitious you can make this meal from dried beans.  We've done it successfully a few times.  The biggest problem is remembering to start the beans early enough that they cook properly.  I count on about 3/4 cup of dried beans in place of each can.  Again, they do need to be drained, so when we have cooked it with dried beans I usually cook the beans, then add them to the soup.

Hybrid freezer meal details: We cook all our taco meat for the month at once, and I do season the meat together.  I usually use lean ground turkey in place of ground beef.  Because there is minimal fat, I do throw my seasonings in at the beginning of browning the meat instead of at the end after the fat has been drained.

For every pound of meat we mix together:
1/2 Tbs chili powder
1 Tbs cumin
1/2 Tbs onion salt
1/2 Tbs garlic

After the meat has cooled it is packaged in quart size freezer bags, approximately one pound per bag for the taco soup and about a pound and a half for taco nights. (Remember, I have five kids)

No comments:

Post a Comment