Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Pancakes

I have always made pancakes and waffles from Bisquick, UNTIL....the dreaded day when everyone wanted pancakes and we were out.  Now, I'm a pretty resourceful person, and seeing that I can read, I decided to grab a cookbook and try by luck at making them from scratch.  I started with a basic recipe, but I decided to use melted butter in the batter instead of oil.  I made the batter and then felt like it was a little too thick for what my family's taste buds.  This resulted in me pouring in a little more milk, adding a little extra of this, changing a little of that, and the result was shocking.  EVERYONE in the family loved the pancakes.

It took a while to figure out exactly what we had done in that first attempt, but I think we have found success, and I we've been making them from scratch ever since.  It definitely wasn't as hard as I always made it out in my mind to be! Even if you never plan on making pancakes from scratch, it's always nice to have a backup plan...I speak from experience.

2 eggs
2 cups flour
2 cups milk
2 Tbs brown sugar1 Tbs lemon juice
1/4 cup butter, melted
2 Tbs baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Beat the eggs until fluffy, add milk and mix together until frothy.  Add butter, sugar, lemon juice and stir together.  Add flour, baking powder and salt. Stir together until the batter is smooth.  Allow the batter to sit for about fifteen minutes then stir again before pouring.

Pour by 1/4 cup onto griddle.  We have an electric we use that I heat to 350.  When the pancakes are bubbly and starting to be done around the edges flip and cook on the other side.  This makes around twenty pancakes which is perfect for our crew.  The recipe can easily be halved if you don't have as many to cook for.

No comments:

Post a Comment