Friday, September 23, 2011

Chicken Cordon Bleu...in a Crockpot

Okay, so I wasn't so creative with the side dishes.  In my defense we arrived home from one of the girl's softball game at almost 6:00 p.m. and I was mainly concerned with getting dinner on the table.  However, since I haven't posted this recipe before we get the canned veggie side dishes and the egg noodles that cook up in seven minutes.

My kids ALL liked this, and with five sets of varying taste buds that is a huge accomplishment.  This started as a freezer meal that was thawed completely by allowing it two days in the fridge.  We knew in advance we had some crazy scheduling this week, but I understand that doesn't always make a great freezer meal for some families.  With the cheese in the chicken I'm not sure how a microwave defrost would affect the overall taste and texture and don't recommend it.

4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts fileted
4 large slices of swiss cheese
4 large, thin slices of ham
1 can cream of chicken soup
1/2 cup milk

Filet the chicken breasts in half to yield 6 long thin pieces.  I am not a top notch chef so mine do not end up in equal sizes.  This isn't a problem in my family as the kids usually want a smaller portion anyway, but it is something to note if you need to increase the number of chicken breasts you are using.  Layer 1/2 of a ham slice and 1/2 of a slice of swiss cheese on each piece of chicken lengthwise.  Roll each piece of chicken with the ham and cheese on the inside and secure with a toothpick.

To freeze, place the rolled chicken in a freezer bag.  I double bagged mine because of the toothpicks.  I don't know if this was necessary, but I was concerned of puncturing through the freezer bag.  It wasn't so much freezer burn as I knew it was only in the freezer for the month as much as the concern of the raw chicken juices leaking while the chicken thawed...


Freezer bag label: Thaw completely, place in crockpot and cover with 1 can cream of chicken soup mixed with 1/2 cup milk.  Cook on low in crockpot 4 -5 hours.

If you choose not to freeze this, place the chicken in a crockpot and cover with the cream of chicken soup mixed with milk.  Cook on low in the crockpot  4 - 5 hours.  If you have a small crockpot you can teepee the chicken so they are all in a single layer.

Please remember crockpot cooking times typically assume your crockpot is 1/2 - 2/3 full.  The chicken may dry out if you have a seven quart crockpot and are only cooking 8 pieces of chicken.

No comments:

Post a Comment